*Vibroacoustic Therapy has been safely used for decades without any significant adverse affects, and there are few risks associated with it.
However, there are some contraindications, and individuals experiencing any of the following are unfortunately not allowed to receive a treatment without written authorization from their primary healthcare provider.
Please cancel or reschedule your appointment if you already have one booked under the following circumstances:
- Cold, the flu, ear/sinus/throat infection, open wounds, infectious skin disease, or any contagious illness, active infection, or communicable disease.
- Pregnancy (regardless of term).
- Pacemaker or other serious cardiac condition (note: there are magnets in the transducers).
- Recent psychosis (active or borderline).
- Implants that may be affected by magnets.
- Significant spinal injuries (or slipped or bulging disc).
- A medical condition such as very low blood pressure, epilepsy, bleeding disorder, or deep vein thrombosis (blood clot).
- Under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Recent surgery or have suffered a significant injury.
- Under the age of 19 years (unless you have consulted with a representative at the spa in advance). Please see the FAQ for more information.
- History of blackouts, heart attacks, or seizures.
HOW TO PREPARE FOR YOUR SESSION:
Have a small meal before arriving at the spa, but ensure you leave at least 60 minutes before your session. You don't want to be uncomfortably full, nor do you want your tummy rumbling.
Avoid caffeine 4 hours prior to your session. Vibroacoustic Therapy is designed to promote relaxation, and caffeine can leave you jittery and/or less able to relax.
In order to keep our spa comfortable and clean for all of our clients, we ask that you shower the day of your appointment and use deodorant/antiperspirant to prevent body odour. Any street clothing worn during your Vibroacoustic Therapy session must be clean and sanitary.
If you will be arriving after any activities where you will be sweating or getting dirty, we ask that you bring a change of clothes; and if pairing your session with a float, book your Vibroacoustic session for after your float session so you will have showered first.
You will start by filling out a from that will guide your practitioner with selecting sound frequencies and music that are tailored to your specific needs.
- In addition to providing information on what condition you are hoping to treat with Vibroacoustic Therapy, you will be asked to fill out a health form and waiver. It is important that you are honest and complete when filling out your health form, as even though Vibroacoustic Therapy is generally extremely safe, there are some conditions that will prevent you from participating in a session.
- Your first session will begin with a brief orientation by your attendant. You will receive an introduction to Vibroacoustic Therapy, and will have an opportunity to discuss your goals with treatment as well as to ask any questions you may have.
- It is recommended at this point to use the washroom prior to going into the sound room.
- You will be taken to your private room for some final instructions.
The Sound Room
- During your appointment you will remain completely clothed; you will only need to remove your shoes. Please ensure you wear comfortable clothes and that they are clean.
- Your session will take place on a comfy mat on the floor (the mat is 5.5 inches thick, much like a massage table top).
- When settled on the mat, you will be given headphones.
- Your session will begin as soon as your attendant starts the music. You will begin to feel the gentle vibrations of the mat as you listed to the selected music.
- You will then be left in your own private room to enjoy your Vibroacoustic session in solitude.
Your Vibroacoustic Experience
- After approximately 20 minutes you should be feeling the relaxation response. Some people fall asleep, others reach a meditative state, many experience pain relief, and others just enjoy the pleasant sensations and the opportunity to relax.
- The experience is different for everyone, and yours will be unique to you. It even varies for the same person from session to session, but most report feeling relaxed and well rested. Some people are able to completely turn off their thoughts, while others find they can't get their thoughts to stop. Try not to become frustrated if you can't get your mind to settle down. During your first session(s) it can take time to get your mind to relax. Conversely, you can use the time to think about things you are otherwise too distracted to focus on.
- Some people with sports injuries or other pain may initially feel some discomfort, but as the body relaxes, this discomfort should disappear.
- Some people leave feeling like it was no benefit at all, yet report being more focused afterwards and having the best sleep ever when they get home. So keep in mind that while you may not feel the immediate benefits, you may notice them more when your session is complete. The more sessions you have the more you will experience the benefits, as with most conditions relief may not be experienced until after a few sessions.
- Try not to have any expectations about what you will experience. You need to have realistic goals and because the experience is so different for everyone, you could end up feeling disappointed if you don't have the experience you were expecting. Just relax and enjoy the moment!
Ending the Session
- The length of session varies according to the condition being treated, but typically lasts anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes.
- After your session is over, your practitioner will return to turn off the equipment.
- It is recommended that after the session stops that you sit up and spend a couple of minutes orienting yourself before standing up. Some people can feel a little dizzy if they get up to fast so we want to make sure you are steady on your feet before standing.
- If you have a float booked, you will proceed to the float orientation at this point.
- If you do not have a float booked, you are welcome to check out our selection of retail products and enjoy a complimentary tea, coffee, or hot chocolate in the post-treatment lounge.
- Head home and expect to have a wonderful night's sleep!
© Copyright 2017 Blu Holistic Health Spa